Monday, May 14, 2012

Word Up

Is it worrisome that my 18 month old doesn't talk? I mean, he has a few words. Kitty, key (which actually may or may not be the same word), airplane, ball, snack. But he hasn't and doesn't say mama and dada. He doesn't really call us anything at all. Mostly he just makes this long, drawn out whiny noise that makes you want to pierce your eardrums with a pair of barbeque tongs. Or else he just grunts. Or screams. He understands plenty. If you hand him something and tell him to throw it away, he will. (Side note: he will also throw away many things you don't want him to, including phones, work badges, and car keys.) If you tell him to go get you a certain book, he comes running with it. He'll bring you his shoes, or come take a bath, or look for his paci. He just won't comment on it. My friend Julie says babies learn 10 new words a day, and that he's probably just storing it up and it will all come pouring out at once. Possibly in complete sentences. I just hope he's not 12 when that happens. In the meantime, I will continue to answer to uuuuunnnngggghhhhh!

6 comments:

  1. he also says "butt butt butt butt" when I change his diaper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ace didn't say more than a few words until well after his 2nd birthday, probably closer to 3 than 2. But like Elliot, he could follow multi-step directions and clearly understood everything. He was just far more interested in the physical than the verbal. Once he did start talking, it was in complete sentences and he has never shut up. I wasn't worried about it, but I got so much grief about it. It was ridiculous. He's now 11 and reading at a 10th grade reading level, so it's all good. Except for that not doing his homework thing. I say don't worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jada - that makes me feel better! I hope he turns out to be a smartie like Ace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is late, but my first son was speaking full sentences by 12 months. So when I had Jamey (he'll be 2 in July) I expected him to be similar...he's not. He sounds very much like Elliot, he understands but doesn't seem to like talking that much. He has words...he doesn't bust them out. I think they (both Jame and elliot are normal).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're right! I happened to be talking to a child psychologist yesterday (unrelated to this!) and when I told her how late his language is coming, she said that babies' brains focus on EITHER walking or talking. And once they master one, they move on to the other. So they may walk early and talk late, or vice versa. Interesting, huh? I never really knew that, but it makes me feel better because E has badass motor skills. He runs around like a maniac.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamey also has badass motor skills...so mystery solved!

      Delete